A mentored group project based on real data and questions from a partner within or outside the university. Students will formulate questions and design and execute a suitable analysis plan. The group will work collaboratively to produce a project report, presentation, and possibly other products, such as a web application.
By the end of the course, students are expected to be able to:
- Identify an interesting data science question for which data is available or obtainable.
- Define the scope of a possible solution, identify units of work (deliverables), and estimate the effort required.
- Design and implement a solution to a problem in data science that can be completed within 8 weeks.
- Function effectively in teams: communicate productively between team members, identify sub-problems that could be worked on individually by team members, and integrate contributions of team members into a final product.
- Document and present (using written, oral, and visual means) the process and results from a solution to a data science problem.
- Evaluate or assess a solution to a data science problem, and compare it with alternative approaches.