These instructions will walk you through how to install the required Data Science software stack for the UBC Master of Data Science program. Before starting with the installation instructions, ensure that your laptop meets our program requirements. Students’ whose laptops do not meet the requirements specified above will not be able to receive technical assistance from the MDS team in troubleshooting installation issues.
- Runs one of the following operating systems: Ubuntu 22.04 (any version >=20.04 will likely work), macOS Big Sur or above (>= 11.4.x), Windows 11 Professional, Enterprise or Education (version 2004, 20H2, or 21H1).
- Click here to download Windows 11 for free from UBC. (if it is not available you can download Windows 10 and update it to Windows 11)
- When installing Ubuntu, checking the box “Install third party…” will (among other things) install proprietary drivers, which can be helpful for wifi and graphics cards.
- Can connect to networks via a wireless connection for on campus work
- Has access to an internet connection that is fast and stable enough for video calling and conducting online quizzes
- Has at least 50 GB disk space available
- Has at least 8 GB of RAM
- Uses a 64-bit CPU
- Is at most 6 years old at the start of the program (4 years old or newer is recommended)
- Uses English as the default language
- Student user has full administrative access to the computer
Software installation instructions
Please click the appropriate link below to view the installation instructions for your operating system:
The following people contributed to these instructions: Anmol Jawandha, Tomas Beuzen, Rodolfo Lourenzutti, Joel Ostblom, Arman Seyed-Ahmadi, Florencia D’Andrea, and Tiffany Timbers.